It's very different way over on the coast...

on Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just came across an interesting article with a Comparison of Bay Area CSAs, which is written by my internet buddy Finny (aka Jessica), waaaay out in California where it's warm and they can grow more things, and they have much longer growing seasons. That definitely seems to affect what the CSAs are like out that way!

You want proof? Check out this really informative spreadsheet comparing CSAs that are local to San Jose. Then again, I suppose we could provide many more of the options in some of these CSAs if Mary or I had way more property, had chickens in our backyards (trust me, we both want 'em!), and had been established for a longer period of time. I actually have been planting a variety of fruit trees in my yard (most of which won't produce for at least 2-3 more years), and this is the first year I'll be able to harvest from my dinky crop of asparagus.

While there might come a time where I can actually include some asparagus or, who knows, maybe even apples or Asian pears in the CSA shares (gimme a few years!), I wouldn't recommend holding your breath on getting homegrown oranges or lemons. ;-)

1 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

You're a good promoter, Jeph - our CSAs out here are incredible, that is to be sure, but I have faith in the growth of your CSA because all of these guys started out the same way: small patch of land, small group of dedicated subscribers, big dreams.

And now they have chickens!

Post a Comment