TOMATOES!!

on Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ok, maybe that's a little bit of an over reaction... but it's very exciting to start finding flower buds on the tomato plants.

For now I have two raised beds with tomatoes... seven plants per bed. This is in the first row I planted... remember the experiment where I planted extra early? The other row is about two weeks behind this row... so they haven't really gained any height yet.

The neat thing about these tomato cages is that they're made with a 6" grid, so it's super easy for me to see that the first bed planted has all the plants at about 18" tall right now. Very exciting this early in the season... give it a month or so and that won't be a big issue anymore.

Now just because there's flower buds forming doesn't mean we can expect ripe tomatoes anytime soon. While 6 of the 7 vines in this bed have their first buds forming, odds are the earliest buds won't come to fruition. I think some gardeners even pick off the earlier buds, pushing the plants to grow more roots and height rather than struggling with fruit production so early.

I should probably do that.

Man, that's going to be hard to do.

Sure, it's for the good of the plant, but to just cut off what are potentially the first tomatoes?

Ugh.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I always leave the first buds. I just can make myself do it. My tomatoes don't seem to suffer as a result.

Post a Comment