Tomatillos are forming

on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Unfortunately, they're doing it very slowly, and the plants are still very small. And I even planted more tomatillos this year than in previous years!


The good news is that, technically, it's still fairly early in the growing season for the plants that love the hot weather, so I shouldn't be such a pessimist.

I used to think tomatillos were odd, strange, nasty things I'd never eat. And yet, for some reason, I grew them in three non-consecutive years! The first year I let them fall and rot on the ground. The second time I tried roasting some to make a small amout of "eh" salsa. Last year I made enough salsa to can three pint jars worth - not much, but booooooy was it good stuff!!

So this year I'm growing more, including a "pineapple tomatillo" variety, and I hope to have enough tomatillo fruits for folks to all get them in their shares. Hard to know for certain right now, since the plants are still small....we'll have to wait and see.

Have you ever held a tomatillo? They're like a hard, unripe green tomato wrapped in a papery husk. When you peel off the husk you'll find it was stuck to the fruit with a very sticky sap (you've been warned!). You can make salsa verde with tomatillos - and I'll have to track down the recipe I made last year to post here for you guys sometime. Since there's still plenty of time before that's needed, I can at least provide a link to the Fabulous Beekman Boys recipe salsa verde (maybe it's the same recipe!?). And you can even watch them make it in a video!

In the meantime, I'll keep admiring the attractive green "lanterns" hanging in the garden, and hope the plants keep growing!

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment