How do you use your cucumbers?

on Sunday, July 31, 2011

Brett likes them peeled (no skins on his cucumber!), sliced into sticks and then eats them plain or maybe with blue cheese dressing to dip.

I like them sliced thin, along with thinly sliced onion (red onion in the picture, but color doesn't really matter to me), and put in a container with a lid that has a good seal. Then I sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, pepper and maybe sugar, and then pour in roughly equal parts of vegetable oil, cider vinegar and water. Seal, shake, and let sit for a little while. I like them best when chilled. For two small or one medium cucumber I use a small to medium onion, and roughly a quarter cup of each of the liquid ingredients. This is to taste, so if you like it more puckery, go heavier on the vinegar.

I find if I use too much oil (compared to the vinegar and water), it can seem a little too oily, especially when cold!

Oh, and I've been known to include some snips of dill if I have it, but I don't usually have it around.

And another great way to eat cucumbers? Slices of pumpernickle, spread with cream cheese, topped with thin slices of cuke, and sprinkled with a little dill (dry or fresh). Soooo good! I've even done this on pumpernickle cut with a bat-shaped cookie cutter for Halloween parties. The near-black bread is great!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I cant eat one more cucumber!!! I planted way to many this year and have been giving them away like crazy!! I like mine with the peeled and dipped in Ranch :)

Kris said...

I like mine sliced with tomatoes and onions, drizzled with sweet'n'sour dressing, then topped with shredded grilled chicken and crispy rice noodles. Yum. Keep 'em coming!

Post a Comment